|Internationally renowned potter Andrew Martin is leading a five-day intensive class in mold making and slip casting.|
Interested in taking a vacation that’s a little bit different? How about checking out NSCAD’s inaugural 125 Summer Institute, a relaxed, fun way to learn and create art, while exploring Halifax and meeting other artists.
NSCAD’s School of Extended Studies is hosting 12 week-long workshops in July and August. The classes range from a forging class with artist-blacksmith John Little to an advanced ceramics class with renowned potter Andrew Martin. The Summer Institute is designed to inspire the new artist and challenge the professional.
“This is the chance for people who really want to make the most of their time off by rolling up their sleeves and delving in,” says Sharon Blanchard, director of the School of Extended Studies. “Come see us this summer at NSCAD—Canada’s premier visual arts university—during our 125th anniversary year.”
For three weeks in the middle of the summer, four workshops will be offered each week. Each class will include a welcome reception, morning coffee breaks and a closing lunch at the end. As well, group excursions, such as ghost tours and harbor sails, will be organized in the evenings.
The complete list of offerings includes:
• Playing with Fire with artist-blacksmith John Little. July 27, 28.
• The Figure in Watercolour with Bob Williams. July 30-Aug. 3.
• Landscapes in Watercolour with Bob Williams. Aug. 6-Aug. 10.
• The Carl Dair Typography Workshop with Rod McDonald. July 23-27.
• Cultivating Concepts with Michael Fernandes. July 23-27.
• Understanding the Masters with Michael Fernandes. Aug. 6-10.
• Laser Cutting with Greg Sims. July 23-27.
• Jewellery Casting Workshop with Lillian Yuen. Aug. 6-10.
• Mold Making and Slip Casting: a Master Class Exploring Form, Design, Context and Use with Andrew Martin. July 30-Aug. 3.
• Acrylic Painting Workshop with Ivan Murphy. July 23-27.
• Landscape and Symbol with Ivan Murphy. July 30-Aug. 30.
• Oil portraits workshop with Heather Sayeau. July 30-Aug. 3.
For more details, including tuition and supplies, please refer to the website at www.nscad.ca/extendedstudies.
“Some of our most popular instructors will be teaching—instructors including Michael Fernandes, Ivan Murphy, Lillian Yuen, Bob Williams, Greg Sims and Heather Sayeau—and we’re very excited about that,” says Ms. Blanchard.
| || |
Ivan Murphy, Citadel with Shadow #2, oil on canvas, 2012. Gallery Page & Strange.
Halifax painter Ivan Murphy will teach two painting classes for the 125 Summer Institute--Landscape and Symbol (July 30 to Aug. 3) and Acrylic Painting Workshop (July 23-27).