|NSCAD professors Sandra Alfoldy, Carla Taunton and Gary Markle will present during NSCAD's Research Day. on Saturday, Sept. 24. |
NSCAD University’s Office of Academic Affairs and Research is hosting Research Day on Saturday, September 24, 2016. This event will take place in the Bell Auditorium, D440, Fountain Campus, from 11 am to 5 pm followed by Pecha Kucha 21: Research Showcase co-hosted with Breakhouse Inc. at NSCAD’s Art Bar + Projects from 8:30 pm to 10 pm.
Research Day will showcase current and on-going projects by NSCAD faculty and collaborators.
NSCAD has a unique and developing research culture that will be highlighted in this event. Research Day aims to encourage faculty members that may not be as experienced in undertaking research initiatives, as well as to inspire students to engage with their faculty's projects as research assistants and as future independent streams of research within their practice. NSCAD's faculty members are not only artists but are also innovators, principals, and collaborators partnering with colleagues at other institutions (nationally and internationally). This event will highlight that research does not always happen in a vacuum, that cross-disciplinary voices have powerful standing in the outcomes of research initiatives.
Research Day is free and open to the public. The presentations are multi-disciplinary as there will be researchers from other institutions presenting works that incorporate elements of design, craft, art within their own research practices. As such, we have panelists from other institutions, including Dr. Raymond Klein from Dalhousie University, who has spearheaded the NSCAD Drawing Lab along with NSCAD Professor Mathew Reichertz. Moreover, the Pecha Kucha event taking place in the evening will feature presenters from Dalhousie University, Mount St. Vincent University, and NSCAD.
For more information on NSCAD Research Day, contact Marlene Ramos, Event Coordinator at nscad.ca.
|NSCAD professor Barbara Lounder (centre) will present on community collaborations and the research of the Narratives in Space + Time Society (with Robert Bean and Mary Elizabeth Luka). |
- NSCAD’s Research Day and Pecha Kucha 21: Research Showcase:
- Saturday, September 24, 2016 in the Bell Auditorium, D440, Fountain Campus
- Highlight Research Lecture, 11 am to 12 noon with panelists:
- Sandra Alfoldy, Craftwashing
- Gary Markle, Worn Well: aging with dignity and style
- Carla Taunton, Decolonizing Approaches: Collaboration and Community Engagement
- Moderator Julie Hollenbach
- Collaborative Research Panel, 1:30 pm to 3 pm with panelists:
- Frances Dorsey, Slow Local Colour; Taproot Fibrelab Flax and Sustainable Dyes
- Raymond Klein, Applying the scientific method to answer questions about drawing education
- Barbara Lounder, Walking the Debris Field: community collaborations as research creation with the Narratives in Space + Time Society
- Moderator: Sarah Bonnemaison
- Student Research Panel, 4 pm to 5 pm with panelists
- Heather Dawn Baglole, Saint Mary’s University
- Claire Dykhuis, York University
- Julie Hollenbach, Queen’s University
- Jennifer MacLatchy, Dalhousie University
- Moderator: Marlene Ramos
- Pecha Kucha pre-event social at NSCAD’s Art Bar + Projects, 1873 Granville St., 7:45 pm
- Pecha Kucha 21: Research Showcase at NSCAD’s Art Bar + Projects, 1873 Granville St., 8:30 pm to 10 pm with presenters:
- Sandra Alfoldy
- Colin Conrad and Dijana Kosmajac
- Karin Cope
- Neil Forrest
- Ann-Barbara Graff
- Marlene Ivey
- Eva Knoll
- April Mandrona
- Gary Markle
- Mathew Reichertz
- Grant Wells