Ten distinguished artists have made the shortlist for NSCAD University’s Starfish Student Art Awards.
The grand prize winner will be announced at the Starfish gala on Thursday, April 21, 7 to 9 p.m. at NSCAD’s Port Campus. The winning artist is awarded the $5,000 purchase price for his or her artwork, which then becomes part of NSCAD University’s permanent collection. Nine finalists will receive $1,000.
Each of the 10 nominated works represents a different visual art discipline: drawing, printmaking, painting, sculpture, textiles / fashion, jewellery and metalsmithing, filmmaking, intermedia, ceramics, and photography.
The Starfish Gala is a unique event in Halifax, full of colour, drama and fun. Besides the exhibition of finalists’ artworks and the announcement of a winner, there will be food and drink, music, a print sale and performance art. Plus NSCAD board governors and special guests will participate in a “walking jewellery exhibition” of student-made work.
Without further ado, here are the 10 finalists, the artworks and the categories they’re nominated in:
- Ceramics: Kate Grey (BFA 2016) for Scar Tissue, semi porcelain clay, video, 5:17 min;
- Drawing: Jordan Baraniecki (BFA 2016) for Untitled 3’s, charcoal and conté, 73.5 x 25.75 cm;
- Film: Yalitsa Riden (BFA 2016) for Shoreline, film; 11 min, 13 sec;
- Intermedia: Maeghan Banks (MFA 2016) for make, believe, two-channel video installation with sound, 9 min. loop
- Jewellery and Metalsmithing: Nathalie Maiello (BFA 2016) for 7 Necklaces, copper, brass, powder coating, 60 cm x 180 cm x 10 cm
- Painting: Marc Knowles (MFA 2016) for Platform Peek, latex paint, spray paint and paint can lid on wood, 92 x 165 x 6 cm
- Photography: katarina marinic (BFA 2017) for Fabrication, photograph, 76.2 x 50.8 cm
- Printmaking: Sydney McKenna (BFA 2016) for Play, relief print, 116 x 81 cm
- Sculpture: Philip Nuttall (BFA 2018) for Canis Latrans, marble and limestone, 56 x 30 x 30
- Textiles / Fashion: Laura Admussen (BFA 2016) for Island Catch, seaweed, cotton, linen, found rope and metal, 120 x 11 x 2 cm
Congratulations to all the finalists!
For more details about the Starfish Student Art Awards, please see our Events section.