NSCAD University offers a Summer Pre-University Credit Study Program for selected high school students who are interested in completing a challenging university-level visual arts studio course, prior to high school graduation. Students with an interest in the visual arts and who are entering Grade 12 the following fall are eligible to apply to the program.
Admitted students may register in one Foundation-level summer studio course. They work in a NSCAD studio, study under the guidance of a qualified instructor and have opportunities to interact with regular students who are also registered in the course. Through this experience, students gain an understanding of what it is like to study in a visual arts environment while earning university credit.
FNDN 1100 FOUNDATION DRAWING I
3 credits (S)
Begins: July 2, 2013
Ends: August 16, 2013
Days and time: Tuesdays and Fridays, 1:30PM - 5:30PM
Location: Port Campus, Room P207
This course introduces fundamental skills of representation in drawing. Spatial awareness will be emphasized through the study of proportion, perspective, line quality, contour, positive and negative shapes, value and volume. Drawing from observation will be the primary focus of exercises and assignments. A variety of media will be introduced.
Program admission is limited. Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to visual arts study through an application process and be in excellent academic standing in their schools (3.0 GPA or greater). In order to be considered, the completed application must be received by mail to NSCAD Admissions by the April 15th deadline.
Applicants must include:
- completed and signed application form;
- a non-refundable application fee of $50. The application fee may be paid by personal cheque or money order made payable to NSCAD University. You may also include your credit card number and expiry date (Visa or MasterCard) as part of your application package. You may also phone the Office of Admissions at (902) 494-8129 or our Business office at (902) 494-8219 and they will process your payment over the phone.
- a transcript or letter from the applicant’s high school, verifying that the applicant will be entering Grade 12 in the fall and is in excellent academic standing with a 3.0 GPA or higher. The transcript or letter must be official and mailed directly from the issuing institution to Admissions at NSCAD University;
- a letter of reference from the applicant’s high school principal or art teacher. The letter may be attached to the application or mailed directly to to Admissions at NSCAD University;
- a list of visual arts studio courses that have been completed (see section 5.2), including high school and NSCAD Extended Studies. For individuals admitted to the program and who have no formal art training, a noncredit introductory drawing course is strongly recommended prior to enrolling in FNDN 1100 Foundation Drawing 1;
- 5 to 6 jpeg images which represent obsevational drawing skills, to be emailed to nscad.ca. Please reference in the email that the images are part of an application to the Summer Pre-University Credit Program;
- a personal statement, not exceeding 250 words, demonstrating seriousness about studying the visual arts. This statement may describe your interest in studying the visual arts and some of your personal experiences with the visual arts.