The Office of Research Services provides administrative and support services for NSCAD student, faculty and institutional research endeavors.
Externally funded research has expanded significantly in the past few years, and with this growth comes an increased demand for a variety of services. The Office of Research Services provides assistance to the NSCAD research community by:
• providing information on sources of grant funding
• promoting grant applications and contract proposals by NSCAD faculty
• supporting project planning, proposal development and project coordination
• processing requests for research funds
• representing NSCAD in negotiations between research sponsors and faculty
• arranging acceptance of funds for sponsored research
• processing all research-related transactions (travel claims, reimbursements, equipment purchases, etc)
• assisting in the organization and presentation of collaborative research ventures
• acting as a liaison between researchers and NSCAD administrative departments
• assisting with ethical and environmental considerations for research projects
• assisting with the development of research policies and procedures
• preparing all financial and outcome reporting to research sponsors
• promoting research within and beyond the NSCAD community
Ethical review and certification for research involving human participants is provided through an agreement with Saint Mary’s University Research Ethics Board. Application forms and guidelines are available on their website.
Supported through SSHRC's Institutional Grants program, NSCAD provides seed funding for faculty research projects through an adjudicated application process. Inquiries on the application process can be directed to the Office of Research Services.
A fillable PDF file can be accessed below. Please complete the form electronically. To submit the completed form, either print a hard copy to deliver to the Office of Academic Affairs and Research or click on ‘submit’ at the top of the form.
Application for Research Grant (NSCAD-SSHRC)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)The Research Support Fund assists Canadian post-secondary institutions with the costs associated with managing their research enterprise, helping them to maintain a world-class research environment. The Research Support Fund for universities is calculated based on a proportion of Tri-Council-funded grants earned over a three-year period. Grants can be used to:
- maintain modern labs and equipment;
- provide access to up-to-date knowledge resources;
- provide research management and administrative support;
- meet regulatory and ethical standards; or
- transfer knowledge from academia to the private, public and not-for-profit sectors,
…helping to make Canada a world leader in research and development..
In 2015-16, NSCAD University received $107,359 through the Research Support fund, formerly known as the Indirect Costs Program. In 2016-17, NSCAD will receive $107,755 which we are committing to support research at NSCAD. This includes the funding of a research officer (part-time, term limited appointment), library resources, research facility maintenance, accreditation and regulatory adherence. The Research Support Fund provides much needed support to the research infrastructure at NSCAD.