International Students

Welcome to NSCAD!

NSCAD University has a long history of working with international artists, craftspersons and designers because we understand the value in cultural diversity. We welcome students from all over the world to study at NSCAD and provide study abroad opportunities for our full time students as well. The universal language of art, craft and design is spoken at NSCAD and we invite you to join us.

International Student Services are offered through StudentServices.  Please contact Joann Reynolds Farmer for more details.

For students interested in applying to NSCAD as an exchange student from one of our partner institutions or for students applying to our undergraduate and graduate programs as an international student please visit MyNSCAD to proceed with your application process.

* SAT/ACT scores are not required for applications to NSCAD University

English Language Proficiency Requirements

Applicants whose language of instruction either in high school (for at least 3 years) or at the post-secondary level (for at least 1 year) is not in English must submit evidence of their ability to carry on studies in English. This evidence must be provided through one of the following:




 at least 90 with no test less than 20  at least 94 with no test less than 22
 IELTS  at least 6.5 with no band less than 6.0  at least 7.0 with no band less than 6.0
 CAEL  at least 69 with no band less than 60  at least 69 with no band less than 60 
 CanTest  at least 4.5 with no part less than 4.0  at least 4.5 with no part less than 4.0
 CAE  at least B  at least B
 MELAB  at least 82 with no band less than 80  at least 82 with no band less than 80
 IB  at least 5 in English A1 or A2 HL  at least 5 in English A1 or A2 HL
 AP  at least 4 in English Language and Composition or Literature and Composition  at least 4 in English Language and Composition or Literature and Composition


These test results must be sent directly from the testing service to NSCAD University, Admissions Office, to be considered valid. No offer of admission will be made until such scores are received. For more information on our English Language Partners, please see: International Applicants.    

Study Permit (Student VISA)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides study permits for internationals who have been accepted to a designated learning institution.  For students who have been accepted to NSCAD University an acceptance letter will include a DLI (Designated Learning Institution) # which is 019021269652.  This paperwork will need to be included in a submission for a Study Permit that will need to be processed prior to entrance to Canada.  For a complete overview of the process for applying for a Study Permit please visit the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website.

Under a Canadian Study Permit students are eligible to work in Canada within the guidelines provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.  Service Canada can provide a Social Insurance Number for students to be paid to work in Canada.  Once a student has arrived in Canada they can visit a Service Canada location to apply for and obtain a Social Insurance Number in order to work in Canada.

*Students attending NSCAD as a visiting or exchange student for less than 6 months do not require a study permit.

Financial Planning
The University recommends that prospective international students budget a minimum of $20,000.00  -  $25,000.00 (Cdn) not including airfare for 8-12 months of study Canada.

International Health Insurance
All international students, both those on student exchange or those pursuing a full degree at NSCAD, are required to have adequate health insurance.  NSCAD University ‘s International Health Insurance Plan is automatically included in your NSCAD fees and provides coverage for 12 months from September – August.  Students studying on a one semester exchange are provided coverage at a prorated cost.

NSCAD's insurance provider covers medical and dental needs on an emergency basis.  This is not a plan to that covers pre-existing conditions or is intended to replace regular health check ups.  Please visit your family doctor before traveling to Canada for any ongoing or general health or dental needs.

International students who have been in Halifax for more than 12 months may be eligible for coverage under the Nova Scotia Health Medical Services Insurance plan.  To discuss eligibility and the process for applying students need to contact MSI directly.  Once enrolled in the MSI plan, the regular health insurance plan provided to domestic students through SUNSCAD will be available. 

Students can find out more about their health plan by visiting our Student VIP International Health Insurance website.  On this site students can access important information regarding the policy and resources available.

For additional information, contact Joann Reynolds Farmer, Coordinator Off Campus, International and Advising at (902) 444-7213.