Announcing the 2019 Starfish Student Art Awards Finalists
Ten artists have been shortlisted from among 96 applicants for NSCAD University’s 2019 Starfish Student Art Awards. The Starfish jury will announce the grand prize winner at the Starfish Gala on Wednesday, April 24, 7 to 9 p.m. at NSCAD’s Port Campus. The winning artist is awarded the $5,000 purchase prize for their artwork, which then becomes part of NSCAD University’s permanent collection. Nine finalists will receive $1,000.
Each of the 10 nominated works represents a different visual art discipline. The 2019 finalists, their artworks and the categories in which they are nominated are:
- Emma Allain (MFA 2019), Expanded Media: This will not be an unfamiliar landscape, 2018. Hand-bound artist’s book and silkscreen prints on rag; Book: 13.97 x 20.32 x 5.08 cm, 357 pages / Prints: 27.94 x 35.56 cm each, 12 total
- Tyler Anderson (BFA 2019), Drawing: Curl Towards Push Against, 2019. Paper and fabric; 139.7 x 101.6 cm
- Drayden Decosta (MFA 2020), Film: Rooms of the House, 2018. Film/Video; 18:35
- Megan Kyak-Monteith (BFA 2019), Painting: Whale Hunt: I Think Everyone Is Here, 2019. Oil paint on canvas; 226.06 x 152.4 cm
- Alex Linfield (MFA 2018), Printmaking: The Only Job That Starts At The Top Is Digging A Hole, 2018. Silkscreen on plexiglass, digital pigment print, acrylic on slip cast ceramic; Glass: 60.96 x 91.44 cm, footprint of installed work: 121.92 x 91.44 cm
- Liv Mansveld (BFA 2019), Textiles/Fashion: Love Languages, 2018. Woven Textiles, Constructed Garments; A collection of 3 pieces, each 30.48 x 152.4 x 30.48 cm
- Luke Mohan (BFA 2019), Ceramics: Closet, 2018. Ceramics; 76.2 x 76.2 x 76.2 x 182.88 cm
- Kim Paquet (BFA 2020), Jewellery Design and Metalsmithing: Beyond the appearances, 2019. Grout, Concrete, steel, silver, rope, rough black diamond; Ring: 4.5 x 4 x 5.5 cm, Brooch: 13 x 6 x 2 cm, Necklace: 47 x 14 x 4 cm
- Mark Sark (BFA 2020), Sculpture: Sculpture #5, 2018. Sculpture; 243.84 x 152.4 x 121.92 cm
- Wiebke Schroeder (BA 2018), Photography: Beachwalk, 2018. Photographic image/print; 111.76 x 167.64 cm
2019 Starfish Student Art Awards finalists top row: Emma Allain, Tyler Anderson, Drayden Decosta, Megan Kyak-Monteith, Alex Linfield; bottom row: Liv Mansveld, Luke Mohan, Kim Paquet, Mark Sark, Wiebke Schroeder; Photography by Seamus Gallagher. Individual photo: Luke Mohan, photo by Meghan Macdonald.
This is the tenth year for the Starfish Student Art Awards, named for presenting sponsor Starfish Properties. Established by property developer and art collector Louis Reznick and NSCAD University to recognize and promote exceptional students, the awards provide emerging artists with vital visibility as they embark upon their careers.
Tickets to the Starfish Student Art Award Gala are available at
Thank you to the creative businesses supporting the 2019 Starfish Student Art Awards:
Presenting Sponsor: Starfish Properties
Gold Sponsors: Engel & Völkers, Lydon Lynch Architects Ltd., TD Insurance
Silver Sponsors: BMO Nesbitt Burns, Citadel Oral & Facial Surgery, CKG Elevator Ltd., Freehold Commercial Realty, Garrison Brewing Co., Halifax Seaport, McInnes Cooper, Southeast Drywall
Supporting Sponsor: Patterson Law, Rhyno’s Ltd., Spectacle Communications Group
Members of the 2019 Starfish Student Art Awards jury are: Enrique Ferreol, Program Officer at Arts Nova Scotia; Laura Ritchie, Director/Curator of the MSVU Art Gallery; Julie Rosvall, Program Coordinator at Craft Nova Scotia; and Linda Hutchison, Associate Vice President, University Relations, NSCAD University. The Starfish Student Art Awards are coordinated by Melanie Colosimo, Director of NSCAD University’s Anna Leonowens Gallery.