Incoming Exchange Study
We welcome exchange students from partner institutions who are interested in studying at NSCAD University! Join us by first submitting your application. Note: Please be sure to select “exchange” study as opposed to “visiting” student status. Applications will be reviewed through the month of October for those wishing to study at NSCAD during the winter semester, and in the month of March for fall semester study. Students from partner institutions must have approval from their home institution to apply for exchange at NSCAD. The mobility coordinator at the home institution should send a notice of endorsement to the coordinator,Opportunity and Belonging prior to student application.
As one of North America’s oldest art institutes, we have been an integral player in developing art school exchange programs
around the world. Since 1972, the program has grown to include more than 70 partner institutions in 15 countries, including:
- Dominican Republic
- The Netherlands
- New Zealand
- and the United States
College to University Articulation Agreements
NSCAD University has agreements with colleges across Canada that provide advanced standing to their graduates who continue on to undergraduate degree programs. These agreements are called “articulation agreements” and they provide students with an excellent option for a pathway from college to university. Some NSCAD programs provide a “2+2” option which means a two-year college diploma may be recognized for up to two years of a four-year university degree. Students may transfer 30 semester credits per year, or 15 credits per semester, to the maximum allowable non-resident credits. No more than 75 credits will be transferred toward degree programs at the university.
NOVA SCOTIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (NSCC)
1) Agreement for transfer credit from the Diploma, Graphic Design (NSCC) to the Bachelor of Design, Major in Interdisciplinary Design (NSCAD).
2) Agreement for transfer credit from the Diploma, Screen Arts (NSCC) to the Bachelor of Fine Arts, Major in Film (NSCAD).
3) Agreement for transfer credit from the Diploma, Photography (NSCC) to the Bachelor of Fine Arts, Major in Photography (NSCAD).
1) Agreement for transfer credit from Dawson’s program in Illustration and Design to the Bachelor of Design, Major in Interdisciplinary Design (NSCAD).
FLEMING COLLEGE’S HALIBURTON SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
1) Agreement for transfer credit from the Diploma, Visual and Creative Arts (Fleming) to the Bachelor of Fine Arts, Interdisciplinary degree NSCAD).
YUKON SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS (SOVA)
1) Agreement for block transfer credit from the Foundation Year (SOVA) to a degree in Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts or a Bachelor of Design, Major in Interdisciplinary Design (NSCAD).
University Pathway Agreements
NSCAD University has developed agreements with a number of partners to increase student mobility and to ensure a smooth academic transition to NSCAD. The active partnerships are:
NOVA SCOTIA INTERNATIONAL STUDENT PROGRAM (NSISP)
1) Agreement to allow international students graduating from public high schools in Nova Scotia to apply for admission under this cooperative agreement.
L’ECOLE DE JOAILLERIE DE MONTRÉAL
1) Jewellery transfer credit equivalencies from L’école de Joaillerie de Montréal to NSCAD’s Bachelor of Fine Art with a Major in Jewellery and Metalsmithing.
English Language Partnership Agreements
THE EAST COAST SCHOOL OF LANGUAGES (ECSL)
The East Coast School of Languages (ECSL) in Halifax has partnered with NSCAD University to provide training in English as a second language (ESL) and University Achievement Pathway (UAP). Applicants may be conditionally accepted to NSCAD degree programs pending successful completion of UAP at ECSL. Students who successfully complete UAP at ECSL do not have to submit an ELP test to NSCAD for admission.
INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR EAP AT CAPE BRETON UNIVERSITY (ICEAP)
NSCAD has signed a partnership agreement with the International Centre for EAP at Cape Breton University to be an authorized English-language training partner of NSCAD offering English Academic Preparation Programs to prospective NSCAD students.